Stoicon is an annual international conference on applying Stoic philosophy to modern life, organized by Modern Stoicism. It’s now in its fourth year. Stoicon 2017 is scheduled for Saturday 14th October, and will take place in Toronto, Canada. Our annual Stoic Week online course will begin the following Monday, running from 16th – 22nd October. If you’re interested in Stoic philosophy, whatever your background or occupation, this conference is meant for you. Our aim is to make Stoic philosophy accessible to everyone by highlighting its practical relevance to the everyday challenges people face in different aspects of modern life.
We open this year with a brief introduction to Stoic philosophy followed by a series of talks by leading authors in the field of modern Stoicism. In the afternoon, you will be able to choose between attending different parallel sessions, including an introductory workshop for newcomers to applied Stoicism. The day concludes with the keynote presentation on Stoicism and Emotion by one of the leading experts in this area, Margaret Graver, Professor of Classical Studies at Dartmouth College.
Theme: Stoicism at Work
Date/Time: Saturday 14th October 2017
Location: Toronto. Holiday Inn, Yorkdale.
Contact: Email Modern Stoicism
Booking: Tickets can be booked online via EventBrite.
Stoic Sunday in Toronto events to be scheduled…
8 – 9am Registration and coffee
- 9am Introduction: What is Stoicism?
Donald Robertson, author of Teach Yourself Stoicism
- 9.30am How to be a Stoic: Conversations with Epictetus
Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, author of How to be a Stoic
- 10am The Stoic Minimalist: Practicing Stoicism, Avoiding Controversies
Dr. Chuck Chakrapani, author of Unshakable Freedom: Ancient Stoic Secrets Applied to Modern Life
10.30am Morning break (30 min.)
- 11am Stoicism, Buddhism, and Judaism
Dr. Ronald Pies, author of Everything has Two Handles
- 11.30am Living the Best Possible Life: Epictetus’ Rx for Clarity, Ease, and Serenity.
Sharon Lebell, author of The Art of Living
- 12pm Stoicism and Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT)
Dr. Walter Matweychuk, author of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy: A Newcomer’s Guide
- 12.30pm Stoicism and Sport
Jules Evans, author of Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations
1 – 2.30pm Lunch break
2.30 – 4pm Parallel Talks & Workshops
- Stoicism and Values Clarification (Workshop)
Prof. Christopher Gill, author of The Structured Self in Hellenistic and Roman Thought
Tim LeBon, author of Wise Therapy
- Stoicism and Creativity (Talk)
Ryan Holiday, author of The Obstacle is the Way
- Stoic Perspectives on Leisure, Work, Duty, Discipline, and Vocation (Talk)
Stephen Hanselman, author of The Daily Stoic
- Stoicism, Military Resilience and Thriving (Workshop)
Thomas Jarrett, DCSW, former Combat Operational Stress Control Officer and author of Stoic Resilience and Warrior Resilience & Thriving Training training programs.
- Dealing with Difficult People At Work – Stoic Strategies (Workshop)
Dr. Greg Sadler & Andi Sciacca, of ReasonIO
- Introduction to Stoic Psychological Skills (Workshop)
Donald Robertson, author of The Philosophy of CBT: Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy
4 – 4.30pm Afternoon break
4.30 – 5.15pm Keynote: Serenity Amid the Storm: Human Nature and Stoic Calm
Prof. Margaret Graver, author of Stoicism and Emotion
5.15 – 5.30pm Closing
5.30 – 7pm Reception
Check for discounts and book your ticket online now via EventBrite.
Please note that details of this event may be subject to change.