We’re delighted to announce that we now have a small team working to represent the Modern Stoicism movement in Toronto, Canada, headed by Donald Robertson and Adam Piercey.
NEWS: Come along to our FREE launch event in Toronto.
Toronto has one of the largest Stoicism communities in the world, perhaps the largest. Donald, author of How to Think Like a Roman Emperor, and Chuck Chakrapani, author of Unshakable Freedom, are both based in Toronto. We also have several academics based in the universities here with an interest in Stoicism, and there’s a course on Stoicism coming soon to the University of Toronto.
Stoicon, the international Modern Stoicism conference took place in Toronto in 2017 and we will be hosting it again this year. In the lead up to that event we’ll be working to develop the Stoicism community locally. See the Stoicon Toronto 2020 page on the Modern Stoicism website for more information on the conference.
Over the past year there have been lots of free talks and events on Stoicism held in Toronto and we’re planning to build on that in 2020 by setting up a regular monthly practice group, which anyone can join. We’ll also be having a variety of other talks and workshops on Stoicism in the lead up to the main conference.
So far we’ve had talks about Stoicism and love, Stoicism and anger, and general introductions to the subject. During the year ahead, we’re hoping to focus on developing a format that will allow newcomers to feel welcome while providing regular participants with a reason to keep coming back by including varied content from reading and discussing Stoic texts to group contemplative practices. We’d love your input and look forward to seeing you there.
The first step is the creation of several social media accounts to help everyone stay in touch. Join us on as many of the channels below as you want, so that you don’t miss out on any information about Stoicism in Toronto or the surrounding area.
- Modern Stoicism Toronto Meetup Group
- @stoicismtoronto on Twitter
- @modernstoicismtoronto on Instagram
- Modern Stoicism Toronto Facebook Discussion Group
- Stoicon Toronto 2020 Facebook Event Page
In the Press
- Is ancient philosophy the future?, The Toronto Globe and Mail,
- Keep calm and think on: How the ancients can save today’s world, The Toronto Globe and Mail
- How to achieve eudaimonia and other lessons from The Stoics, The Toronto Star
- Also, see this Medium article by Donald Robertson on Canadian Stoicism