Here are details of a Stoicism Today Event in London, to be held on Saturday, November 29th, at Queen Mary, University of London. You can book your place at the event here.
This is the second annual Stoicism Today event, and the biggest global event on Stoic philosophy in 2014. It brings together leading experts on Stoicism and its modern relevance.
We will explore:
- Practical advice for Stoic resilience and flourishing
- Ancient techniques for transforming the self, changing habits and facing adversity – and the scientific evidence for them
- How modern psychotherapy draws on Stoic wisdom
- How people use Stoicism at work, in professional sports, in prison and elsewhere
- How Stoicism is related to other wisdom traditions like Buddhism and Taoism
- We also want to hear from you about how you find Stoicism helpful
The morning will have key-note talks and a plenary panel, then the afternoon will offer five different workshops for attendees to take part in. The event also sees the launch of a new book, ‘Stoicism Today: Selected Writings’, which includes contributions by many of the event’s speakers.
- Professor Christopher Gill, emeritus professor at Exeter University
- Professor Angie Hobbs, professor of the public understanding of philosophy at Sheffield University
- Dr John Sellars, author of Stoicism
- Gill Garratt, author of CBT for Work
- Tim LeBon, psychotherapist and author of Achieve Your Potential with Positive Psychology
- Donald Robertson, author of Stoicism and the Art of Happiness and The Philosophy of Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy: Stoicism as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy.
- Patrick Ussher, editor of Stoicism Today
- and Jules Evans, author of Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations
Other speakers will be announced in the next two months.
The pre-event fee is £15, which includes coffee, tea and lunch. The event will cost £20 on the door. We’re not making a profit from this event and none of the speakers are being paid – the ticket price is entirely to cover the overhead costs of the event.
You can book your place at the event here.
This is a great event for any fans of Stoicism, or anyone interested in learning about this highly practical and therapeutic ancient philosophy, whose modern devotees include Arianna Huffington, Tom Wolfe, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Elle MacPherson and Adrian Edmondson.
You can see a video, giving an overview of last year’s London event here:
And the roundtable discussion from last year: